Re: [Asrg] Darwin's War

2003-04-30 07:58:01

The occassional references to fancy content marking are entirely wrong.
Our problem is spam, and that is related to consent and volume but not
content.  The contents of mail can be a problem, but we must not even
start to approach the net-nanny business.  We have centuries of experience
with humans trying to label and then censor words according to very simple
criteria such as "heresy," "sexually offensive," or "leaking war secrets."
We here ought to know enough about human nature and stupid computers to
see the insurmountable and inevitable problems of any content labeling.
The commercial HTTP net-nanny products are open jokes less because
their operators are frauds, idiots, or fools than because the problem
is too hard.  The television, music, and other entertainment rating
systems are worse.

Agree. Consistent with the PICS deployment experience.