Re: [Asrg] Darwin's War

2003-04-29 20:27:04
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

Okay.  Then what kind of marker would indicate that a message is
something you want to receive?  Assume for a minute that if they lie,
you get to have them drawn and quartered--so there's sufficient oomph
to keep it accurate.

If had Habeas had decided to arrange things so that most of the people
I want to receive mail from could use the Habeas mark, but no spammers
lived to do it twice, then Habeas's mark would have been the ticket.

Such a mark would not need to be perfect, which is handy since it couldn't
be.  If it carried a $1 liability per copy of spam capped at 0.1% of
the individual's or organization's IRS gross income or revenues, and if
individuals could buy the right to use the mark for the cost Windows
virus protection or the cose of a credit report to varify their identity
(about 10,000% more identity checking than Verisign does for Verisgn
cert), then it might work.  Habeas already has the mark whitelisted by
a large fraction of the mailboxes on the Internet.  If Habeas offered
me a MasterCard or Visa credit card that whose terms and conditions
allowed the use of the mark including a $1/spam fine capped at $500,
then they might be able to fund the credit check to verify me identity
and have e on the hook if I decided to spam.  They might have enough
money left over to pay lawyers to defend a few score $500 fines.

In the real world, I've seen the Habeas mark on the mail of exactly
one individual who I don't think is on Habeas' payroll, and I wonder
about him.  It seems Habeas decided to sell the mark only to organizations
willing and able to assume a $250,000 liability, pay for every message
sent, pay a fee of at least $500/year, and tolerate accounting and
auditing of their mailing.  They do have a special deal for individuals
who don't use mail commercially, but that excludes many of the people
I want to hear from as well as me.  Even those who qualify for the
individual license ought to spend the ~$500 to have that amazingly
long license checked by a lawyer.  I assume the lawyers and venture
capitalists have pointed Habeas to where such professionals think the
big bucks are to be found, the coffers of such as Topica.