Re: [Asrg] Darwin's War

2003-04-29 15:55:56
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

In the long run, any white-listing mark, flag, or certificate must
not indicate merely "probably not spam" but "mail I really want to
receive."  Any marker that says "this mail I'd be happy or just content
to skip" is doomed.

So would a marker that stated the type of mail (e.g. transactional
vs. informational) be valuable?

I doubt I understand "transactional vs. informational" and flatter myself
that if I don't understand, then neither will enough users to matter.

My guess is that whatever those categories are, they don't matter.
The mail I want to read does not fit in any simple box that senders
can understand.  Many transactions such as "your winning lottery ticket
can be claimed by sending money to the address below" are spam.
Sometimes I like "your order has been shipped with FedEx tracking
#123", but I rarely rely on those notes.  Some often silly and useless
and sometimes offensive information such as K.Bostic's /dev/null list
is not spam for me.