Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-01 10:10:37
At 10:34 -0400 5/1/03, Kee Hinckley wrote:

What do you think these (currently non-existent) certificates would cost? On what basis do you make the assumption.

And still, what does "cost" mean across a collection of _every_ recognized currency and economy?

Ask Phillip why personal certs with real identity checks aren't readily available. Never mind ones that guarantee that you aren't a spammer.

I have to also ask, what in the world does it mean to be "a spammer". I've read here some comments about "no certificates to known spammers" etc... Now, the only parallels I can think of in the real world today, are things like:
        "no voting rights for convicted felons"
        "no gun sales to convicted felons"
        "no driver's license for convicted drunk drivers"

But these labels are not just created by committee - they're only applied to a person after participation in a pretty rigorous process of courts, self-defense, centuries of practice, and the massive legal system needed to support individual trials. How in the world would such a determination be made? By whom? Appeals? What about quickie corporations that can't be easily traced to one "evil" creator? Registrars that make mistakes? You can't invalidate all their certs - some legitimate parties will get snagged too - the "trojan horse" problem applied in a different way.

The easy solution to rules-by-fiat ordinarily comes via private property rights. But "the Internet" isn't a private corporation and so it isn't an option.

Would it not enough of an accomplishment to improve protocols to help make readily identifiable a point of origin of something undesirable, and to facilitate (but neither mandate nor strictly define at this level) a range of technological and social remedies?