Re: [Asrg] Proposal for transition to authenticated email

2003-05-01 10:19:50
From: "Jim Youll" <jim(_at_)media(_dot_)mit(_dot_)edu>

At 4:22 -0400 5/1/03, Ken Hirsch wrote:
I don't understand this objection.  You can send to the ISP's SMTP
server at the
same speed as you send to another SMTP server.

Not exactly. My laptop can send mail to the in-house server at 10 to
100mbps. I close the lid and leave. The in-house server can batch the
mail out in 30 minutes, at 128Kbps over ISDN to the destination.

there's no benefit to adding another hop for the mail in the middle
of all this.

And there's no disadvantage, either, as far as I can tell.

[...]

Here we disagree. I think the trend is toward more of all kinds of
servers, not less. Teasing out e-mail may solve one problem, or if
the solution is not well liked, will just push users (and the same
problems) onto other technologies. Already people are starting to
have home media servers. Why would you NOT put e-mail in there too?

You can put your server there, no problem.  The only difference is that it
would send outgoing mail through the ISP's server instead of independently
routing to each recipient's SMTP server.  There would be no visible
difference to users.