Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-05 14:12:38
Vernon Schryver <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com> wrote:
If you really think RMX (or anything else) is worthwhile, then you
should already have written and deployed some code.   So please say
how it's working.

  My apologies.  I had thought that ASRG was about discussing the
requirements and design of any solution.  Since that's wrong...

  OK, everybody, off of the list.  Let's use Vernon's criteria, and
say that the only people who can post to the list are those with an
anti-spam system used by 80% of the net.

  Hmm... where'd everybody go?  Even Vernon appears to have been
punted off of the list, as a result of applying that restriction.

In fact, no one is preventing you from using RMX or any other tactic
you like (subject to the terms of service of your ISP).  What you are
not getting are accolades for the silver bullet and volunteers to do
all of the work and then present it on a silver platter.

  Strange, I didn't ask for accolades, volunteers, or a silver
platter.

  I guess it's more ad homimen attacks from someone who has no other
way to defend his position.

I think there are some early implementations of RMX, but that they
are not working is not the result of efforts of the "legacy internet
engineers" who prevented the spread of IPv8 and suppressed the discovery
of how to encode more than 4,294,967,296 addresses in 32 bit.

  Yup.

The underlying problem is that people who advocate RMX, TOES,
authentication, or content tagging hope that some magic technology
will finger spammers.

  ... with better precision and accuracy than their current methods.

  Yup, definitely.

 They don't want to be bothered with the standard work of collaring
bad guys.  They don't care that counting coup on spammers by saying
"I know who you are" never stops any spam.  Those who are serious
about fighing spammers instead of fighting spam don't need RMX or
any of the other superficial quick fixes.

  Ah.  So systems which may give another few-month lifespan to
existing mail systems until we have better methods, are to be opposed
simply because they're not long-term solutions.

  Alan DeKok.