RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-06 11:35:38
I stand corrected.  I do not see that as a best practice (esp. related to
secure configuration of an IP).

-e

On Tuesday, May 06, 2003 1:18 PM, Vernon Schryver
[SMTP:vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com] wrote:
From: "Eric D. Williams" <eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com>

That seems to be based on the mistaken notion that there can be only
a single PTR RR per IP address.

There can only be one canonical reverse mapping for an IP address.

Where does the word "canonical" appear in RFC 1034 in connection with
PTR RRs?

                                                                    There
                                                                    can
be multiple forward A records.  That is not to say the a PTR record can't
be

dynamically configured. However, yes that is the case for any instance for

transient or permenant assignment of a PTR RR AFAIK.

100 IN      PTR     domain1.com.
    IN      PTR     domain2.com.

does not work AFAIK, I will give it a shot.

Those are quite similar to the lines that temporarily cause this:
    % nslookup -d 192.188.61.4
      QUESTIONS:
          4.61.188.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
      ANSWERS:
      ->  4.61.188.192.in-addr.arpa
          name = andesite.rhyolite.com
          ttl = 86400 (1D)