RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-06 17:37:51
From: "Bob Atkinson" <bobatk(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com>

Another common case involves people traveling.  If you plug your
laptop
into the network of a hotel or one of your consulting clients, you
might prefer to use an envelope and From header address at your home
systems instead of room1234(_at_)losangeles(_dot_)merriot(_dot_)com or
guest(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)

I'd like to understand this scenario better, as at present I am
confused.

Among my confused thoughts are the following questions: What were the
steps that led to a mail address and mail server in my hotel room? Which
part of the hotel's policy forced me into that? Does any hotel actually
do this? In your understanding, which SMTP server is the STMP client on
my laptop talking to in order to send it's mail?

I would have expected instead that having got IP connectivity, my mail
reader on my laptop would have connected back to my normal home (e.g.:
pop3.mycompany.com/smtp.mycompany.com) and then sent and received mail
through there as usual, resulting in the normal From headers, etc.

POP3 is fine for fetching accumulated mail from your mailbox
mycompany.com.  How do you send mail?

Now that I think about it, I realize I'm thinking of such as running
sendmail/UNIX on the laptop to send mail.  My preconceptions run that
way, while others tend to think of personal computers as dumb terminals
connected to a BBS and using IP instead of x-term or some other
specialized protocol largely out of inertia and marketing.