Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-09 20:43:52
On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:22:17PM +0100, Tom Thomson wrote

Two separate questions there.

1.  Yes, some hotels provide a mailserver and a guest email acount
(for example hotels using Neos products).  Often these are send only
accounts (horrible concept, isn't it).  However, the MUA in these
cases is a machine owned and managed by the hotel (at least in all
cases I'm aware of) and not the guest's laptop, and both the content
From header and the envelope From header will be as Vernon described.

2.  Yes, hotels provide internet connectivity for guests laptops.
When they do so they usually expect the guest to connect to there
normal mail provider.  This is a problem with providers that don't do
authentication of some sort, but not the hotel's problem so they've
not much incentive to solve it. Some do block port 25 so you have
to use their outbound MTA, and that writes a suitable Received From
header identifying the room, but I don't think these systems usually
rewrite the envelope From address.

  This is where ssh-tunnelling and webmail-over-SSL come in *VERY*
handy.  If a company can afford to send an executive to a faraway city
and pay for a laptop, they can afford to install ssh on his/her laptop.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;