Re: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-06 23:07:17
On Wed, 7 May 2003 00:35:20 -0400
Eric D Williams <eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Tuesday, May 06, 2003 9:44 PM, J C Lawrence [SMTP:claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu]
wrote:
On Tue, 6 May 2003 20:50:50 -0400 Eric D Williams
<eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Empirically, average homeowner desktop users do not have that view,
not even slightly.

I don't agree, there is a difference of opinion here (I deal with
quite a few home users who do not hold that view).

Certainly there are many who consider it significant, but "many" doesn't
mean much in percentages, or in the size of the population who don't
manifest concern in any direct sense.  The very high rate of such
compromises, the long tenure of many compromised boxes (in the networks
I've monitored it averaged at just over 8 months), and the relatively
lackadaisical attention paid to compromise prevention, detection, or
correction all empirically suggest that the view if held, is not held
strongly, and is certainly not held strongly enough to warrant either
particular attention or care.

Spamming in this regard is a symptom of the compromise resulting from
an exploited vulnerability.

Agreed, tho I'm not sure that adds anything.

I am not sure of what you are saying are you referring to systems
commonly known as user desktops?  I did not recognize the attack
vector in your example or a description of what part of RMX
introduced a flaw/vulnerability into the compromised system.

Aiiieee!  ...

If you are referring to DNS et. al. as edge authentication schema I
understand, I could not carry forward your argument because of the
inconsistent view of the terms.  I thought you were referring to the
attack scenario.  Otherwise, I thought you were referring to desktop
per se system, that use trivial authentication schemes and thus can
usually be easily compromised.

Authentication in the standard sense is a question of what you have (eg
SecureID key fob), what you know (eg password), and who you are (ala
biometrics).  Applying that level of authentication to email at the
transaction level is inapplicable.  Its simply too large a barrier to
standard usage.  As a result authentication data is cached, or locality
information like IP address or stored shared secret is used to supplant
more rigorous authentication.  Its that convenience factor that breaks.

  I described that data as stored and processed on the edge, which is
  admittedly an extension of the "edge" term from networking in an
  abusive manner.  My bad; I should have been more clear.

More simply, its the principle that if the node representing the
authentication data is compromised, then authentication is compromised.
The standard human parallel, if in a horror movie sense, would be
attempting robust authentication in a space where demonic/spiritual
possession was common.  Not an easy problem.

I did not recall you making a statement about the RMX not being
involved in the attack scenario, I completely follow your premise for
the result of a successful compromise of a system - I think I stated
that in the first message in response to the scenario.  This is not
complicated, I follow you I'm just looking for clarity in assessing
your arguments.

According to reports (I haven't verified) we currently have zombied
boxes being used for spam distribution.  This cannot be very surprising.
Adding external controls like RMX and other forms of authentication
simply increases the value proposition to (criminal) spammers to upgrade
their zombie-based tools to extract seemingly-valid data from the
compromised host's configuration (which, rather helpfully in Window's
case, is readily available in standard locations behind common APIs) for
use in the generated email.

RMX is not directly involved in this, it would merely be a tool, which
like any other authentication mechanism if deployed, would encourage
spammers down this course.  I'm not stating that RMX shouldn't be
deployed because of this threat, or even the converse.  The simple
progression of history and the asymptotic curve toward greater forgery
accuracy will force that progression.

How does that help in giving the group a cogent view of what metrics
should be used to evaluate other proposals.

It doesn't.  Such metrics have been discussed, are largely listed in the
taxonomy, and are frequent points of assertion in threads here (a simple
case is my frequent jumping up and down that the UUCP/disconnected case
shouldn't be broken).  Read the list -- most of those metrics are stated
and endlessly restated in the form of assertion lobbying (frankly its
getting worse than Congress).

I asked because if there is a viable methodology for determining these
various methods they should be referenced in the requirements,
additionally we could develop some threshold for viability.

That would be wonderful.  However, I'm not sure that a clear and
comprehensive view of metrics and costs is possible, but I'm willing to
be convinced.

We're dealing with an international scene, which implies a rather
bizarre set of environmental concerns ranging from baroque privacy and
wiretap laws, business model invalidation, curious assessments of
deployment costs, customer perception, QoS and other service contracts,
disconnected (ala UUCP) and mobile operations (such as the recently
discussed laptops) and so on down the pipe.  Its a particularly hairy
field.  It may very well be that we can come up with __NO__ universally
deployed solution, and even can't come up with a solution which will
ever (10 years) achieve more than 50% penetration.  Frankly, I'd rate
any proposal which stands a respectable chance of 30% deployment in 5
years as a standing ovation run-away success, but I may be overly
cynical.

BTW, I am not attempting to "recreate" anything ...

RMX is a nominative authority structure -- something I consider a large
step backwards.

... and I am not, during my analysis, limiting the solution set, at
this point, to any particular approach.

Thanks.

Sorry, no.  Simply, it is neither worth my time or yours.  Arguments,
evaluations, and empirical evidence has been presented in the last
weeks which you have variously ignored, decreed as irrelevant, or
labeled as an acceptable cost.  I've no interest in repeating that
history when it is so readily available in the archives.  Not my job,
not my investment, not my interest.

I do not engage in that type of analysis.  I do not 'decree' anything
nor do have I even stated I advocate a particular proposal (though I
am willing to work to evolve some toward viability).

My apologies if I've been sloppy there.  Its quite possible that I've
conflated statements by you and others in the RMX thread.  <quick
review> Damn.  It looks like I have been sloppy there.  My very bad.
Please accept my apologies.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?