RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-07 18:23:57

  When you receive a message with an envelope 'from' in a domain, has
that domain consented to the use of it's name?  Right now, we don't
know.  With something like RMX, the owners of that domain can make
their consent explicit.

The opponents of RMX seem to live in a world where there are two choices,
delivering the mail and sending it to the bit bucket.

That is NOT what is being proposed. What is actually being proposed is
a three choice system - Deliver, Spam-Filter and Bit-Bucket.

The reason for this is that we can see that in the near future the
spam filtering criteria are going to escalate like mad. So getting
your mail through will be harder.

Getting caught in the spam trap will be almost as bad as going to
the bit bucket direct at some stage.

If I have proof a message came from the hotmail servers and I know
that they employ rate limiting the chance that the message is spam
is small. so the message can either be delivered immediately or
spam filtered with a much lower level of suspicion.

Of course there are circumstances that RMX does not address and
there are a couple of problems with the degree of authentication.
in particular we already have problems with spam senders stealing
unused IP address blocks. RMX could create an incentive to start
DNS spoofing and advertising BGP routes for blocks that are in
use.

                Phill