RE: [Asrg] seeking comments on new RMX article

2003-05-06 18:44:54
I use a local STMP server to send mail. I travel a lot and use a cell phone on the road. The cell phone provider doesn't provide me with a stable SMTP server, so I use a local one (called PostCastServer) to send my email directly to the recipients' SMTP servers. My Internet provider at home doesn't provide any email servers either, so I am kind of stuck. In a RMX/rDNS world, would I have to pay to subscribe to a RMX-enabled SMTP server instead of using my current setup?

At 06:37 PM 5/6/2003 -0600, you wrote:

> From: "Bob Atkinson" <bobatk(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com>

> > Another common case involves people traveling.  If you plug your
> laptop
> > into the network of a hotel or one of your consulting clients, you
> > might prefer to use an envelope and From header address at your home
> > systems instead of room1234(_at_)losangeles(_dot_)merriot(_dot_)com or
> guest(_at_)example(_dot_)com(_dot_)
>
> I'd like to understand this scenario better, as at present I am
> confused.
>
> Among my confused thoughts are the following questions: What were the
> steps that led to a mail address and mail server in my hotel room? Which
> part of the hotel's policy forced me into that? Does any hotel actually
> do this? In your understanding, which SMTP server is the STMP client on
> my laptop talking to in order to send it's mail?
>
> I would have expected instead that having got IP connectivity, my mail
> reader on my laptop would have connected back to my normal home (e.g.:
> pop3.mycompany.com/smtp.mycompany.com) and then sent and received mail
> through there as usual, resulting in the normal From headers, etc.

POP3 is fine for fetching accumulated mail from your mailbox
mycompany.com.  How do you send mail?

Now that I think about it, I realize I'm thinking of such as running
sendmail/UNIX on the laptop to send mail.  My preconceptions run that
way, while others tend to think of personal computers as dumb terminals
connected to a BBS and using IP instead of x-term or some other
specialized protocol largely out of inertia and marketing.