Re: [Asrg] Content filter abuse for censorship

2003-05-07 06:21:15
From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>

If you read the web page of DCC, then this is not based on
certain words contained in the message, but on checksums.
So the error message above can't be caused by the text
of the message. This particular message was reported to the DCC
as being Spam. So every customer of DCC will not receive that
message anymore. The delivery of the message over the list
is slightly delayed. So when list members do receive that message,
the DCC will already report it as Spam and block it.

From my point of view this is private censorship and that's why
I don't like those systems.

That is mistaken.  The DCC does not detect spam.  Instead, the DCC
detects bulk mail.  Local whitelists are used to determine whether
mail determined by the DCC to be bulk is solicited or unsolicited.
Sending a message to the DCC says only "this message was awfully
bulky."  Mailing list traffic is also bulky, which is why the sample
whitelists for the DCC include this mailing list.

Only if Mr. Danisch sends the same message to me and to another mailbox
protected by the DCC and only if the message is not whitelisted for
some reason such as coming via this mailing list should the copy to
the other mailbox be rejected.

Personal mail from Mr. Danisch is not desired in my vincinity if only
to help me not contribute to the tone of this list.  If he will refrain
from trying to send mail to me, he will stop seeing that SMTP rejection
(not "bounce" in the misunderstanding of SMTP of another contributor).

Using the DCC to tag mail as awfully bulky is useful against those
who send the same message from more than apparent sources.  Some people
respond to an SMTP rejection by resending the message from sources
not obviously associated with the first source.  And then there are
spammers who don't care about SMTP rejections but just send many copies.