Re: [Asrg] Content filter abuse for censorship

2003-05-07 06:21:27
J C Lawrence <claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu> wrote:
This particular message was reported to the DCC as being Spam. So
every customer of DCC will not receive that message anymore.

There is not requirement for sites running DCC to use its as absolute
spam markers.  Most that I've seen use DCC as a hinting mechanism, one
factor among several, not an absolute flag.

  So Vernon has exposed the true intent of DCC: It's a shared system
of filtering material which is objectionable to the participants.

  That intent is light-years away from spam filtering.  Maybe I'll
sign up for DCC, and submit messages I don't like from ASRG.

From my point of view this is private censorship and that's why I
don't like those systems.

I do not think that censorship means what you think it does.  Please
check a good dictionary.

  I've got a bunch (2 linear feet, to be precise).  It's censorship.

  If Vernon wanted to ignore Hadmut, he would simply discard the
message.  Since he has told others about his opinions, and requested
them (through DCC) to follow his example, it's an attempt by Vernon to
censor Hadmut throughout the DCC system.

What are you saying here?

  That someone should not elect what mail they are willing to receive or
  not?

  That someone should not state the criteria on which they decide what
  mail to receive or not?

  That someone should not state the actual decisions they made regarding
  mail they receive?

  Don't be an idiot.  This isn't about Vernon discarding Hadmut's
message, or about Vernon telling Hadmut that his message was
discarded.  It's about Vernon telling *others* to discard Hadmut's
message.

  That someone should not listen to the criteria or decisions another
  makes regarding their mail, and then factor that into their own mail
  policies in whatever manner they wish?

  Hadmut made no statement about the people who use DCC.  Your
objections are most ingenious: Plausible on the surface, but subtly
missing the point, so as to give a completely distorted view of
Hadmut's behaviour.

There are slippery free speech issues in here.

  Not in my country.

  Alan DeKok.