[Asrg] Content filter abuse for censorship

2003-05-07 01:31:42
As I stated earlier and in my RMX draft, content filters
are prone to be abused for censorship.

A few minutes ago I've sent a message to the list and
a few participants about rhetoric style. I guess everybody
will agree that this message was new (freshly created) and
not a kind of bulk mail.

I received an error message from my delivering MTA:

vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 REJECT go away: Sent to DCC)

... while talking to calcite.rhyolite.com.:
DATA
<<< 550 5.7.1 REJECT go away: Sent to DCC
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

If you read the web page of DCC, then this is not based on
certain words contained in the message, but on checksums.
So the error message above can't be caused by the text
of the message. This particular message was reported to the DCC
as being Spam. So every customer of DCC will not receive that
message anymore. The delivery of the message over the list
is slightly delayed. So when list members do receive that message,
the DCC will already report it as Spam and block it.

From my point of view this is private censorship and that's why
I don't like those systems.

Hadmut