Re: [Asrg] Content filter abuse for censorship

2003-05-07 14:20:50
On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:03:57 -0700
Phillip Hallam-Baker <Hallam-Baker> wrote:

There is no difference. I have spent most of my life designing
technology to break open those closed systems. So I am going to do
everything I can to warn people of what the consequences are when such
self-appointed censors intervene.

Excellent, I'll happily, even insistently join you in that campaign and
shout my lungs out.

Remember that most users of the Internet have absolutely no control
over their environment in the way that members of the IETF take for
granted. So they do not have the ability to move on.

Quite.  There's a freedom there, but an expensive one.  While there are
market forces, as I've argued already on the list to and with you, too
high a cost or difficulty is equivalent to impossible.  Again, there's a
question of balances.

If someone joins a cult of their own free will that is fine. But the
way that these filters are being applied is much closer to the case of
Adelphia TV which bought out the cable system of LA and then decided
to drop all the programming that did not meet their fine moral
principals. Now that Adelphia is bankrupt and the Riggas family is
facing fraud charges there are many in LA asking whose moral
principals were at fault.

Fair dinkum and a decent parallel if a bit weak given the current ease
in ISP mobility and SMTP handling (cf Hotmail).  This is but one of my
concerns with RMX.  RMX enforcement defines SMTP gatewaying and choke
pointing.  When all mail necessarily passes thru points you control, the
temptations and rewards for abuse are large.  I've no wish to build
architectures which make such abuses easy or tempting.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?