RE: [Asrg] Content filter abuse for censorship

2003-05-07 18:23:36
There is no difference. I have spent most of my life designing technology to
break open those closed systems. So I am going to do everything I can to
warn people of what the consequences are when such self-appointed censors
intervene.

I was the person who sold the Clinton-Gore campaign on the Web as a
political tool when there were less than 100 users because I wanted to break
the hold of the Murdoch press on political discourse.

Remember that most users of the Internet have absolutely no control over
their environment in the way that members of the IETF take for granted. So
they do not have the ability to move on.

If someone joins a cult of their own free will that is fine. But the way
that these filters are being applied is much closer to the case of Adelphia
TV which bought out the cable system of LA and then decided to drop all the
programming that did not meet their fine moral principals. Now that Adelphia
is bankrupt and the Riggas family is facing fraud charges there are many in
LA asking whose moral principals were at fault.

Some religious orders dictate whom their members may and may
not consort
with, what media channels they may receive, etc.  Some members (and
others) of those orders follows those dictates, others
variously stray.

What's the difference?