RE: [Asrg] C/R Thoughts: Take 1

2003-05-14 10:33:28
At 04:58 PM 5/14/2003 +0100, you wrote:

> SpamArrest behavior is no different from a regular MTA operator or an ISP
> harvesting email addresses from all incoming and outgoing email. The only
> difference is since a C/R system must keep a list of verified email
> addresses, this makes it easier.

One way it is different - it claims the right to sell your address on
(although that of course is common US practise).  A lot of people willingly
offer terms of use which doesn not give them that right.  If Spam-Arrest
operated in the EU, its operation would be illegal (not the anti-spamming
law, the data protection laws) and I'm not sure that this policy doesn't
make it illegal to make commercial use of their product in most places in
the EU. Maybe they'd better change if they don't want the data protection
squad causing trouble for their customers - it just needs one highly
publicised case to ensure that they never again have a customer in most of
the civilised world.

Tom

The point I was trying to make is that from the technical viewpoint any ISP or MTA operator can harvest addresses just like SpamArrest did.

Yakov