RE: [Asrg] C/R - What people say

2003-05-13 21:13:35
From: "Eric Dean" <eric(_at_)purespeed(_dot_)com>

If we see a Sender header, we don't return a challenge.  The user will
verify the sender or block it.  For a list, the very first email from the
list requires verification and then the mail flows.

The messages sit in quarantine awaiting the user's action as do all spams.

There should be a difference between "quarantine" and the user's
mailbox.  Spam you must read is not spam that has been filtered.  You
never see filtered spam.  So what is the false positive rate for a
user typical who very rarely if ever subscribes to mailing lists and
only checks "quarantine" hen expecting the first messages from a newly
subscribed mailing list?

Too many so called spam defense are are merely computer games in which
the goal is to make software identify spam.  These games not only do
not save any user time, CPU cycles, disk space, or bandwidth, but
increase the consumption of all those.  A spam system that requires you
to check all supposed spam to see that it really is is not a spam defense.
The spammer doesn't care whether you see its ad in your main mailbox
or your "spam folder," and neither should you.