Re: [Asrg] News Article - FTC targeting open relays

2003-05-15 18:42:29
On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 17:59 US/Eastern, Yakov Shafranovich quoted:
"The results show that fewer than 1% of mail servers that are named in mail addresses allowed relaying in August 2002, a very sharp reduction from over 6% from a year and a half earlier. In the same 18 months, the amount of spam a typical Internet users receives has gone up significantly. This shows that the amount of spam is not related to the number of open relays available."

I'd like to buck the trend for this list and admit my ignorance: if open relays have gone down in number but spam has increased hugely, how is spam now being sent, statistically speaking? Illegal hacking of buggy OSs? Or are the remaining open relays just taking more and more traffic?

mathew