RE: [Asrg] News Article - FTC targeting open relays

2003-05-16 15:07:42
may be proxy port 25 and RCPT TO:
@mail2.openrelay.com:spam-recipient(_at_)spammed(_dot_)com?

-e

On Friday, May 16, 2003 12:17 PM, Steve Atkins
[SMTP:steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com] wrote:
On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:02:41AM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I just thought I would clear up a statement that appeared in the
confessions
article.

This said that the spam sender was sending his spam first through an open
proxy and then through an open relay. As if he was somehow routing the
message through the open proxy. It sounded to me that the journalist had
just got confused.

That sounds right to me. Most open proxies will happily proxy port 25,
and not bother logging where they got the connection from. They're either
used directly, through an open relay or through a local smarthost.

The way I am hearing open proxy used it is to indicate web form mail. Is
anyone seeing it used in any other way?

I've not seen them used in that way for spam at all.

Cheers,
  Steve