Re: [Asrg] News Article - FTC targeting open relays

2003-05-16 14:31:55

On May 15, 2003 at 22:49 research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com (Yakov
Shafranovich) wrote:
I believe Barry (from The World ISP) has mentioned that most spam now is
either being sent via off-shore servers and hacked/virus-infected machines.

I don't know that I'd say "most" because I don't have the data, but I
wouldn't be surprised. Either that or there's some other explanation
why so much of it comes in from thousands (at any given time) of
different DSL and Cable broadband hosts.

On that note here's another relevant article:

      http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030516-012205-6003r

      Internet fraud initiative nets 130 arrests

      WASHINGTON, May 16 (UPI) -- A nationwide initiative against Internet
      fraud and abuse has resulted in more than 130 arrests and the seizure
      of $17 million since January, the Justice Department said Friday.

I'd imagine the overlap with spammers is rather high. If you read the
articles one finds many familiar topics; russian brides, work-at-home,
envelope stuffing, etc.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*