RE: [Asrg] News Article - FTC targeting open relays

2003-05-16 14:24:20
Hey Steve,

Can you provide a little more information about your observations? For
example, what is the source of this data? What percentage comes from each
source? Over what timeframe was this data observed? How do you determine if
a proxy is on a trojan or installed by the machine's owner?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Atkins [mailto:steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com]

That's not what I'm seeing. I'd say that there was a lot
coming from normal legitimate servers - sometimes offshore,
sometimes in the US - a lot coming via open proxies, a fair
few through open relays, some being sent through scripted
freemail webmail, a few coming from compromised machines and
a few from end-user accounts.

Of the open proxies... some of the proxies are trojans, some
are installed by the machine owner.

Note that the FTC announced action against both open relays
and open proxies, if I recall the announcement correctly.

Cheers,
  Steve