RE: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-19 13:40:33

 For example, if 90% of spam is forged, then RMX, C/R, and
authentication schemes could do a lot against spam (modulo their
other problems).

It's not a large step to estimate that 90% of spam is forged.
1) However, much of that spam can be filtered using simple sender domain
checks.  Many spammers use bogus domains and maybe 5-10% of spam is dropped
accordingly.
2) The next value is to do a HELO hostname check..about 10-20% is dropped as
well.  However, there are casualities for very large companies...such as
bellsouth and verizon whereby I have to punch holes in my filters.
3) Then I could be more aggressive and apply a reverse-dns check on the
initiating source IP.  Doing so is also effective, however, all DSL and
carrier Dial networks in-addr their IP pools...yet many mail admins don't.
I have aout another 5-10% of my spam come from unresolved IPs..but instantly
the phones light up..cost me money..and I'm out of business.  The tough-love
approach is suicidal stupidity.
4) Then OK, so now we go with RBL, to identify the pools..that'll
work..costs non-trivial money..but it works for that flavor of spam..maybe
5%.

Then I get plenty of spam from valid random domains, with valid senders (at
least reply with SMTP OK), random IPs, reverse-DNS mappings (maybe
overseas), valid HELO..everything marries up..and I still get 1-2
spams/second.

So, I stopped looking at the logs because it depresses me..and I do
something stupid like try to blacklist someone..or scan  my bounce queue for
http://  links or HREFs to indicate that there was some sort of
solicitation.  Trying to identify a pattern for spam is like writing an
equation for the Niagra Falls.  John Forbes Nash Jr was more successful than
I was in identifying textual patterns.

My lesson in futility was that the only successful anti-spam method is a
distributed one.