Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-18 15:11:09
"Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:
While it's always nice to see some numbers, I'm not sure what
these figures are actually measuring. For instance, yahoo will give a
positive reply for a random mailbox in RCPT TO, delaying rejection until
after DATA. I think the response after data will indicate if the account
doesn't exist or has been (recently) terminated.

  Even worse, there is no proven connection between the spam and the
hotmail/yahoo account which is allegedly the sender.  The data are
entirely consistent with spammers using lists of verified email
addresses to forge 'From:' lines.

  This isn't to say that the numbers aren't meaningful, they are.  But
it's difficult to know exactly what they mean.

  Alan DeKok.