Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-19 07:27:58
At 9:48 PM -0600 5/18/03, Vernon Schryver wrote:
I don't want to imply or guess anything about those "too may test
messages," but it's worth noting something that too many people
conveniently forget or feel doesn't apply to their Special Needs.
Spam is never justified by any goal or desire of the spammer,
including any sort of surveying, testing, or avoiding spam.

I was replying to mail sent to the wormalert(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com hoax. The message made it extremely clear (I spent a lot of time fine tuning it) in the first line that I was replying to mail they had sent me. It didnt' matter.

Initially I was doing a reply-all. That got me in trouble real fast. I switched to just doing a normal reply--but I was still getting complaints and getting shut out by some servers. So I gave up and bounced it with an extended bounce message. That does not appear to have resulted in any spam complaints--although it gets ignored far more.

So. Is it spam to send people email asking them to stop abusing your email server? Not by any stretch I can imagine. But in today's hair-trigger environment--it gets treated like it.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.