Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-18 19:30:48
At 8:27 PM -0400 5/18/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
What I do expect is that users will not reply to challenges that come from strangers - if spammers start using someone's email address for the "FROM"

I fear you are being optimistic. Having spent much more time than I would like doing email customer support, I tend to think that you'll get two major categories of responses.
        1. Scared by challenge, doesn't reply to any.
        2. Finally figured out that challenges are okay, replies to all.
I can't offer concrete evidence for that. But the number of viruses that spread via people opening attachments, and the number of people who ignore bounces completely, make me think that people just don't have a good understanding for what part of what they are looking at is important, and what part should be ignored. When it comes to computers people really don't understand what's cause and what's effect. It's the new magic.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.