Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-18 18:20:36
ad> Even worse, there is no proven connection between the spam and the
ad> hotmail/yahoo account which is allegedly the sender.  The data are
ad> entirely consistent with spammers using lists of verified email
ad> addresses to forge 'From:' lines.

vs> That would be make sense only if the number of hotmail/yahoo spam
vs> sender addresses were proportional to the number of hotmail/yahoo
vs> addresses among all targets of spam.

Vernon,

Wouldn't this objection only apply if you assume that spammers are
selecting MAIL FROM: addresses uniformly?  That is, if you assume each
address in their lists is given equal probability?

Do spammers who do forge prefer to send MAIL FROM: big free targets,
no-name targets, or have no preference?  I honestly don't know the
answer to this one, but anecdotally I suspect they prefer to hit the
big-name targets.

Mike