Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-18 12:06:10
At 03:34 AM 5/18/2003 -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Vernon has regularly made the claim that a significant proportion of
spam messages have valid MAIL FROM's.  That means that bounces will
go the the spammer.  This has significant ramifications for C/R
systems (especially auto-respond ones) since it means that should
they have to, spammers could respond to challenges.

I believe that we mentioned before, that if the sender's system supports C/R and keeps track of all outgoing messages, then it can compare the X-CR-Recipient: header against the list of email addresses this user send email to. This avoids the problem of spammers using a real email address for the FROM addresses. However, if the spammers themselves are operating the mail servers there is nothing we can do but at the last we would know where the email came from and we can track it down.

Yakov