Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-18 19:30:53
At 12:56 PM -0400 5/18/03, Fred Bacon wrote:
I nice idea, but what we really need is the script you used to analyze
your logs.  Then additional data can be collected at a variety of
locations.

I will provide them. However they are specific to CommuniGate Pro, and requiring turning on low-level SMTP monitoring so I can track the transactions. Among other things that means that I'm getting about 40MB of log files every night for those 40,000 bounces. But I will provide the Perl libraries that I used to do the testing and generate the database. Just give me a bit of time this week to do all the work that I was supposed to have been doing instead of this :-).

I realize that there are many on this list who find data collection to
be pointless, but Kee Hinckley has shown this to be incorrect.  Vernon
Schryver's assertions were useless (even if correct) without hard
evidence, and Kee's data is insufficient without wider deployment.

Yes. It's limited data, and it's from an odd system. Somewhere's email is somewhat abnormal compared to most companies or ISPs--although it probably looks more like a small ISP.

Likewise, Vernon's followup that Kee is analyzing a different statement
than Vernon asserted is a legitimate concern.  The data analysis
methodology should be publicly vetted to ensure that it is providing
meaningful and acurate data.

I don't think we're that far off. The main issue is that spammer drop boxes get shut down--so the longer it is before you run the test, the less likely you are to get a valid email address. (I've considered testing that assertion. I might try periodically retesting addresses and seeing if disappear.)