Re: [Asrg] Some data on the validity of MAIL FROM addresses

2003-05-23 10:21:30
On Sunday, May 18, 2003, at 22:23 US/Eastern, Kee Hinckley wrote:
At 8:27 PM -0400 5/18/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
What I do expect is that users will not reply to challenges that come from strangers - if spammers start using someone's email address for the "FROM"

I fear you are being optimistic. Having spent much more time than I would like doing email customer support, I tend to think that you'll get two major categories of responses.
        1. Scared by challenge, doesn't reply to any.
        2. Finally figured out that challenges are okay, replies to all.
I can't offer concrete evidence for that.

Consider the ActiveX warnings about unsigned code. How effective have they been at deterring the spread of web-installed spyware?

mathew