RE: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

2003-05-29 16:11:25
My "what's important" comments were related to the conversation and not
the general claims of our product.

However, that being said, go ahead and try to send email using
well-engineered mass emailing software and you will see that it does, in
fact, remove your email address from the database.

Can we say with absolute certainty that all spammers remove all bad
emails? Of course not. But look at the feature set of most all
mass-email software and you will see features to auto-delist email
addresses with "hard bounces".

What we really need is to talk to some first class spammers.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Wyman [mailto:bob(_at_)wyman(_dot_)us]
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 12:54 PM
To: Peter Kay; 'Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine';
'Yakov Shafranovich'
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP
hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

Peter Kay wrote:
What's important, I believe, is that:
1. the recipient decides what email they want
to get and what they don't.
2. unwanted email does not use bandwidth.
      These are nice points. However, if one reads the
TitanKey website, you'll definitely get the impression that
since "well-engineered bulk-email software automatically
removes invalid emails from their databases" TitanKey is
doing something special and "important" in issuing "an
industry-standard 'no such user exists' error message". And,
the fact that TitanKey has applied for a patent on issuing
such a status code, I can't understand why Peter Kay would
want to suggest that it isn't an important part of the process...

See Also: http://www.titankey.com/howitworks/overallProcess.asp
"Because all other anti-spam software does its processing
AFTER spam gets in your inbox, spammers still know you are
receiving email! Only The Titan Key directs spammer software
to remove you from their databases!"

              bob wyman