Re: [Asrg] TitanKey and "white lies"... (Faking SMTP hard errors "improves" C/R utility?)

2003-05-30 21:42:07
On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 05:30:29PM -0600, Vernon Schryver wrote:
[...]

Say that you did find that 87.345% (or whatever) of all spammers today
respond to 550's.  Instead of sarcasm, please say what you would
conclude about next month.  How much money would you bet on your answer?

The thread of this discussion, I believe, went as follows: 1) someone
made a claim that most spammers observe 550's and remove the
corresponding addresses from their lists.  2) various people then
responded that in their opinion many/most spammers ignore 550s.  3) if I
understand correctly, you claim that spammers' behavior can't be
presumed to follow any particular rules.

It seems to me that 3 is completely consistent with 2, and in fact,
almost implies it, and that they both contradict 1: That is, if we
accept your premise that spammers won't follow predictable rules, then
it follows that a substantial percentage of them won't pay attention to
point 1 is false.

The fundamental point is that we can't count on spammers honoring 550s.

Kent

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Manager of Technical Operations, ICANN      lonesome."