Re: [Asrg] "more readable"

2003-06-21 12:05:03
At 6:12 PM -0500 6/20/03, gep2(_at_)terabites(_dot_)com wrote:
I think you ought to let the READER be the judge of what the READER finds the
most readable... based on THEIR screen, THEIR vision, THEIR color preferences,
THEIR screen resolution, etc etc.

This battle was fought and lost with HTML web sites. Why do you think you'll have any more luck winning it with email?

99.9% of the people sending email really don't care. Actually, I'd put it stronger than that. When they make a document on the screen, they want it to appear the same way on the printer. When the fax it to someone, they want it to come out the same on the remote side. When the paper mail it to someone, they want it the same way on the other side. So not surprisingly they have this weird idea that the recipient should see the email the way they composed it. That's how it works in real life. That's how they want it to work on their computer.

And don't talk to me about bits. Or dangerous content. Having your computer on the internet is dangerous. But we think it's worthwhile. You've made an apriori decision that HTML email isn't okay with you. Great. Don't accept it. But don't try and massively complicate everyone's life just because of your personal preference. You want to make everyone's machine keep track of who they have ever communicated with (On this machine? With this email program? With this email address? With this ISP?). You want to change the default behavior of 90% of the MUAs out there. You want to change the behavior of every MTA out there that receives email (or else every MUA has to add the code for tracking and bouncing). You want to explain to the users how to change these settings, and have *them* keep track of whether they have every sent mail to a particular user at this particular email address and from this particular address before, and then if not, have them change a setting that they don't even understand.

And all to bring about a change that spammers can adapt to in less than a week. Because you know what? They didn't need HTML to sell 2 million Iraqi most-wanted cards in two weeks. They didn't need HTML to con people into flying to Nigeria and getting killed. And they certainly don't need it to sell penis expanders.

Sure, it would be wonderful if there were some directory of what formats people would accept, and if you could easily keep track of whether you've sent mail to someone before, and they could easily keep track of whether they've received mail from you before. We abandoned those things when we abandoned X.400/X.500. This is good old SMTP/MIME email. No directories. No concept of identity. No concept of preferences. That is the environment we are working in. And futhermore. It has nothing to do with spam. Please take the topic somewhere appropriate.

Your proposal doesn't amaze me. I've seen lots of people make the same complaint, myself included. What amazes me is that you think it's simple. Email is an END-USER technology, it's not some buried network protocol. NOTHING about it is simple.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.