RE: [Asrg] "more readable"

2003-06-21 14:32:30
From: "Bob Wyman" <bob(_at_)wyman(_dot_)us>

      I think the real issue here is not the sending of HTML, but
rather, the fact that most reader's email systems can't be trusted to
display HTML without risks. We wouldn't be hearing these objections if
more readers had systems that had the flexibility of web bugs, were
better protected against HTML born viruses, etc. It isn't HTML that is
the problem, it is the software that reads it.

That's true of privacy and security complaints but not spam.
A safe and sane HTML-enabled MUA that doesn't dereference URLs and
never executes scripts without the explict informed opinion of a human
user would be an irritant for spam filtering.  Spam filtering must
deal with <strange tags> and <!--comments-->, just to name two things
that are easy to handle and not mentioning other things that are more
hassle since there's no reason instruct the slower spammers reading
this mailing list.