Re: [Asrg] "more readable"

2003-06-22 00:18:39
Changing to plain ASCII text E-mail will get the mail past THAT level, but it
will (again) deny them the great majority of their most cherished tricks, AND
make their stuff more readily filtered by content filters.  It makes it
harder
for spammers to confuse, deceive, and trick their victims.  So even when
spammers "adapt", they _never_ get back to what they had before.

Keep in mind that while you reducing these things, nevertheless in the end
of the day there is still the same number of emails in the user's email inbox.

Again, I disagree.

First, the fact that spammers wouldn't be able to do "text as image" (etc)
means
that content scanners can be significantly more effective, catching a (much)
higher percentage of spam.

Second, the fact that the resulting spam is less likely to produce "success"
for
the spammers probably will make a lot of today's spam no longer interesting for
the spammers economically.  I expect that to reduce the quantity of spams (or
at
least reduce the growth rate!), too.

 [..] What we're trying to do is to put a crimp in
their gears, and to make life more difficult for spammers and abusers.

As for those who seem so determined to prevent that from happening... one
has to
wonder what their true agenda actually is, and whose side they're on.

There is no reason to get personal,

I didn't name any names.  But if the shoe fits....

...we are all fighting the same enemy and are all on the same side.

If EVERYONE was on the same side, spam wouldn't be the problem it is.  It's
already been pointed out that spammers seem to be among the participants
(lurking, at least) here... it's not a terribly hard leap to imagine that not
all of them are passive lurkers, and that some of them are trying to create
confusion, discord, and to try to block or delay any kind of positive outcome
that would seriously impact their business.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.