Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-06-29 07:00:41
"Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:
The vast majority of people will simply give up on email once
spam becomes too much trouble to deal with.  I'll include ISP's in
that, too.

I'm not certain of this.

  It's happening already to people I know.  A friends grandmother set
up an email address to talk to her grandchildren.  She gets 3-4 "real"
email a week, and 5-10 porn spams a week.  That was too problematic,
so she gave up on email, and went back to the telephone.

  Vernon's recent message is at least partially correct.  Some current
anti-spam systems have made a difference for some people.  What he's
missing is that they haven't made enough of a difference for people
like my friends grandmother.  He's also shown his hand (IMHO), and
explained for the first time why he's opposed to solutions which
involve the IETF: his anti-spam system is a workable band-aid.

  But band-aids aren't considered good patient care.  Cures are.

The advantage of doing things in these ways, rather than replacing
SMTP or creating private networks is that you can more easily be
backward compatible, don't rely on universal deployment and can
deliver (in many cases) now (or soon). Of course, they're not likely
to be perfect. They may not address all the aspects of the problem,
just the ones that the people who pay care enough about.

  What amazes me is the opposition to anything *other* than short-term
band-aids.

  Alan DeKok.