Re: [Asrg] Proposal: Separate ISP(s) for "guaranteed delivery" of email

2003-07-07 11:09:46
But this doesn't provide any kind of guaranteed delivery. Once you inject email into the equation all bets are off.

Chuck Wegrzyn

william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net wrote:

Most contact webforms in reality send email to one or more persons at the company anyway. The question is that companies do not want to provide their email addresses on website (harvesting and other reasons) and trust what has come from their website rather from direct email. So the problem is in trying to extend trust that vendor see from their webform to email sender. One such mechanism is to have vendors display to the users on website email addresses such as "sales-xxxxx(_at_)domain(_dot_)com" where xxxxxx corresponds to sessionid of the visitor to their website and exist for certain small period of time. Because session ids can be unique and with 8 hex characters there can be more then enough of them to not be repeated for a long time while the actual email (for example "sales-18f83a73(_at_)elan(_dot_)net") is not too long to not allow user to write it down or copy it over to the mail client software. Relaying on session ids will also allow to trace those who harvest and immediatly send spam
as you can then look at the logs and see what ip address was responsible.