Re: [Asrg] Proposal: Separate ISP(s) for "guaranteed delivery" of email

2003-07-04 08:09:39
On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 06:07:20PM -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote

  How much do they care; 75 cents' worth ?  It's their decision, just
like with snail-mail versus courirer.

No.  That's a sender decision.  I'm talking about a receiver
decision.  And the problem is that if the receiver starts paying for
receipt of messages (e.g. to their sales line) then they are open to
a different kind of for-profit spam.

  Please re-read my original proposal.  It includes the sentence...

The general public could join with free "read-only" accounts, with
the option of sending one-off messages for a low fee.

  Most customers of UPS/Fedex/Purolator are businesses, and have
accounts with them.  But individuals do use couriers occasionally when
the need arises, and pay a one-off fee.  The "Business ISP" is to be
a "sender-pays" system.  The sender *ALWAYS* pays for messages sent.
The receiver *NEVER* pays for messages recieved.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;