Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-07 15:57:31
At 01:34 PM 7/7/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:
> Just ran across this quote from the John Gilmore of the EFF
> (http://www.politechbot.com/p-04927.html):
>
> ----snip----
> After years of divisive discussions, a very similar pledge/oath/policy was
> what EFF was able to come to agreement on:
>
> "Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach
> their intended recipients."

  I would rather say:

  "Any spam fighting system must be designed so as to allow the
desires of the recipients to be implemented.  No spam fighting system
should be designed so as to throw away any non-spam email as part of
its measures, unless the recipient of that email specifically
instructs the system to do so."

I agree as well, I just wanted to clear up this issue. The very nature of consent-based system is against the philosophy proposed by the EFF. This is something that must be kept in mind.