RE: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-08 04:45:34
Elric Pedder wrote:
Behalf Of Yakov Shafranovich
Just ran across this quote from the John Gilmore of the EFF
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-04927.html):
----snip----
"Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam
messages reach
their intended recipients."

Perhaps none of us has yet come up with a silver bullet to solve the
problem of spam -- but it IS within our power to solve the problem of
overzealous anti-spam measures.
----snip----

I don't believe you can stop false positives -- if only because
people will have widely varying opinions on what SPAM (to them)
is.  It is, however, very dangerous to allow false positives
because if anything the perceived "reliability" of the Internet
becomes compromised.

I would recommend

"Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all messages
either reach the intended recipient, or are returned to the
sender, or the sender notified."

Elric

I do agree with you regarding the last, we should return undeliverables,
but I do not agree that we need to live with false positives. Some months
back I refered to a method I called the Earnest method, because it uses the
URL's and phone nos the spammers want us to use. I've run it with a proof
of concept solution since early april and have, since I cleaned out some headers
addresses I collected when I consentrated on sender ID, in mid-may not have
had any false positives. It do occational allow new domains, but as long I am
sure non-spams get through and I can handle the new ones simply, it isn't
a problem.

But if you to guess what is spam, based on patterns in a letter the issue
is important, but if we can eliminate that guess, working with what the
spammers want us do, contact them, then we lessen the risks of filtering
away Aunti Agathas messages. If people do send a URL with a spammer
domain, pity, or we learn them to write them, so they passthrough. I
have no problem with getting a non-active URL from my dear aunt,
because I know why I need to copy and paste it. But spam with non-
active URL's will not generate the requred traffic to the advertiser. It
is to complicated.

Kurt Magnusson