[Asrg] Re: 3. Requirements - IPv6 support

2003-07-14 08:34:10
Quoting "C. Wegrzyn" <wegrzyn(_at_)garbagedump(_dot_)com>:

I think we should include it but not as an exclusive requirement unless
there is no other solution.

Why not just use the generic term "IP address" in any discussions and leave it
to implementation detail?

If a proposed anti-spam scheme specifically relies upon some feature of IPv6
which does not exist in IPv4 then the issue becomes relevant. But in general if
you're using an IP address in a way which works equally well in either protocol
version then why would it matter?

Many people here worry that requiring a new SMTP protocol would unnecessarily
delay implementation of anti-spam solutions. Not that it's a bad idea in the
long-term, but we also need short and medium-term techniques too. Surely
requiring IPv6, which is not yet widely used, would have a similar delaying
effect?

Andrew