Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General

2003-10-23 11:40:50
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:08:43PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
The headers certainly contain the IP of the first host that made an SMTP
connection to send the mail.

Which is worthless if it was injected via an open relay. It's estiamted
that there a more than a half million of them currently.

I believe the government in question has _far more_ leverage on the ISP
than I do as an individual. It seems to me that this means spammers can
use the difficulty of this mapping to hide from me, and activists can't
use it to hide from governments.

The problem is that there are laws that touch the area of spam.
But nobody really cares if the damage is around 1 Cent.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299