Re: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-24 14:20:36
Nevertheless, we should tread carefully on removing on whatever
anonimity is currently being granted by SMTP.

Agreed, lets be careful, but let us not forget that preserving the ability for
any MTA to accept anonymous email means that spammers will forever be able to
send anonymous spam.  No two ways about it.  Please consider that the current
system has resulted in the SPAM epidemic.  We HAVE to change something to fix
the bigger problem.  For a majority of people receiving anonymous email is not
a feature of any value.  If certain organization desire to receive anonymous
email, let them setup servers that accept email regardless of origin.  I can
see governments, human rights organizations, and press outlets all providing
such a service.  For the rest of the world... lets add the ability to certify
the sender and close the SMTP exploit that is being abused by spammers.

Brian Adams