Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General

2003-10-23 09:07:10
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:22:26PM +0700, Brad Knowles wrote:
At 3:22 PM -0400 2003/10/22, denny  wrote:

Well in part I will say that I have never sent an "Anon" email and
I would like to know just how "Anon" it is *unless* you have some kind
of "Man-in-the-middle" who changes the email headers to hide the sender.

      Okay, so for all the pieces of spam you have ever received, tell
me precisely who sent each and every one of them.  Hell, just tell me
who sent a random 1% sampling.

The headers certainly contain the IP of the first host that made an SMTP
connection to send the mail.

On the one hand, you're arguing that mapping that IP back to a user is
hard to do - and for me to coerce an ISP to give up that userid, is
difficult.

On the other hand, you're arguing that governments who are persecuting
people won't be able to apprehend them, because of the difficultly in
this mapping.

I believe the government in question has _far more_ leverage on the ISP
than I do as an individual. It seems to me that this means spammers can
use the difficulty of this mapping to hide from me, and activists can't
use it to hide from governments.

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...