Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General

2003-10-23 22:18:46
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:08:43PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
The headers certainly contain the IP of the first host that made an SMTP
connection to send the mail.

Which is worthless if it was injected via an open relay. It's estiamted
that there a more than a half million of them currently.

No, you haven't thought that statement through.

Every decent SMTP MTA adds a 'Received-by:' header, which includes the
IP of the host that made the SMTP connection. Even open relay MTAs add
this, so you'll still have the IP of the sender of the email.

If you want to talk about open Proxy servers, or owned machines, that's
a different discussion, but in any case, if someone chooses to support
DRIP/RMX/whatever for their domain, and they list their open-relay MTA
as a server for their domain, then you'll probably want to blacklist
them ;-)

I believe the government in question has _far more_ leverage on the ISP
than I do as an individual. It seems to me that this means spammers can
use the difficulty of this mapping to hide from me, and activists can't
use it to hide from governments.

The problem is that there are laws that touch the area of spam.
But nobody really cares if the damage is around 1 Cent.

We weren't discussing that aspect of government, we were talking about
governments abusing power to harass (etc) activists. The governments in
question, Brad explained, really do care about these activists, so we
can certainly expect that they'll apply their leverage.

                                                        David