RE: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-28 21:36:36
Difficult, most of us who are active in that area tend to
regard filter
technology as being an area for competing proprietary schemes.

You're in the wrong forums then, but your philosophy doesn't
surprise me considering that you appear to work for Verisign.

VeriSign does not provide filtering technology, however I am on
the technical board of a spam filtering company. As you are probably
aware we do not speak for anyone but ourselves in IETF activities.

The IETF has been successful in the area of protocol design. There
are few who wish to repeat attempts to get into the API space.

There is a reason you have to have standards to communicate that
is intrinsic to the problem. There does not appear to be the same
intrinsic requirement in the general applications area.

2. Spam is a direct result of commercialization of the Internet,
therefore a commercial solution for fighting spam is, to the educated
individual, paying a company who writes viruses to use their
anti-virus software.

Actually the spam appeared in 1993 which was before there was measurable
commercial use of the Web, in fact it may even have predated the Internet
Shopping Network. Spam is the result of a bunch of lawyers realizing that
the existence of an audience created the potential for profitable spam.

We could get into an argument about the first DEC spam but that hardly
seems to be a good example because the sender did not repeat the
practice after it was clear that it was against netiquette. Canter
and Segal appear to have been the first don't care spammers.

                Phill