Re: [Asrg] 1. Inventory of Problems - Input Needed

2003-11-06 13:36:30
Fridrik Skulason wrote:
I just read through the "Inventory of problems" document, and I have a few
comments.  Some of those comments reflect my anti-virus background, and the
increasing connection I am seeing between viruses and spam.

I have three separate comments on the document.

First I would like to add one problem - the issue of "unintentional" spam
generated by incorrectly configured mail filters.

I have brought this subject up elsewhere - see for examply my open letter
in http://www.f-prot.com/news/gen_news/open_letter_10sept2003.html
....snip....

The following Internet draft seems to touch on the same subject:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-auto-email-response-04.txt

.....snip.....

My third point involves the "Fraud & Crime" section, where I suggest adding
two more types of spam scams.

First, stock manipulation. There are spammers that attempt to push various penny stocks (most recently TRHL, PFDE and AZAA). I have done
   some analysis on activity of the stocks in question and it is very
   interesting to observe the increased trading volume in the weeks prior
   to the spamming (presumably when the spammer is accumulating shares).

   The second common category is the lottery scam - typically mails with
   subjects like "YOU ARE A WINNER OF US$2.5MILLION LOTTO"

We need to rethink whether to include "social" and "legal" issues in the inventory of problems. On one hand, we are a technical group and are not considering legal issues, on the other hand without some of these issues, the picture may be incomplete.

Yakov