Re: [Asrg] 1. Inventory of Problems - Input Needed

2003-11-06 13:36:33
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:20:31PM +0000, Jon Kyme wrote:
Alan DeKok wrote:
Currently, the charter
is vague, and very unhelpful.

I can't agree with that. Generalising the problem as a consent / policy /
enforcement thing means we don't start by talking about spam, spammers and
what spammers do.

I agree with John, that the charter is helpful. However, I agree with
Alan, that the charter is vague.

I see what Alan proposed as a set of use cases for messaging.

Once you have them, you can identify which use cases are abused by
spammers. You can look at which proposed solutions affect which cases.
You can look at which cases suffer side-effects from each proposal.
Instead of 'A is better than B', you get to 'A fixes 1,2,3 - B fixes
3,4,5 - seems that we need a bit of both'.

 We just (!) need to identify opportunities for
(recipients) policy expression, transmission and enforcement in (or
alongside) the MTS. This isn't vague (it may not be what a lot of people
want to see) and I don't see why this can't be helpful.

A set of use cases would allow definition of trust diagrams, which would
show which attributes of the communication are trustworthy at each
transition (between hosts/organizations/programs/protocols). It's not
that what you said can't be helpful - I think it needs to be more
specific.

For instance, C/R and and other Consent-token schemes don't know anything
much about *spam* and the only thing they assume about *spammers* is that
the business model precludes the human or other resources required to get
through.

A filtering system based on the use of a filtering engine doesn't know
anything about the content of *spam* except that it differs somewhat from
*non-spam* (the particular engine used will know more than this).

It's possible that some sub-set of the solutions affect all the use
cases equally. Their side-effects probably effect all uses-cases equally
as well.

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net --> The
only difference I see