RE: [Asrg] 1. Inventory of Problems - Input Needed

2003-11-10 20:53:31

AD wrote:
  I believe that social issues (like lying about opt-in) should be
outside of the scope of this group.

Right.

Lying about opt-in is not a social issue, the inability to detect lying is a
protocol defect which is easy to cure.

All that is required is for the mailing list to obtain an authentication
code value from the user during the opt-in process. This value can then be
returned in each message sent, proving that the recipient did opt in and
that the message concerned should therefore be whitelisted.

I can circulate the draft again if people are interested in finding
solutions.

We are dealling with a criminal deterence/criminal prosecution problem here.
All problems will appear to be 'social' because that is what spam is, a
social problem manifest in technology.

What should be outside the scope of the group is purely social solutions,
but even there I am skeptical as there being a genuine exception. The
lawyers seem to be being quite effective in reducing the rate of growth of
spam, so why not consider technology to help the lawyers do their work?

        Phill